The Alberta Browncoats Society is registered not-for-profit society, Alberta Registration #5015011389, formed in Edmonton in 2009. Our current supported charities are Equality Now, Kids Need to Read, and the Edmonton Youth Empowerment and Support Services (YESS).
We offer two levels of membership; individual ($20) and family ($45). A family membership consists of four people with a maximum of two adults. Additional children can be added at $5 per child. All adult are eligible to vote at the Annual General Meeting (AGM); children (17 and under) do not have voting rights.
In addition to a membership item, members receive a membership card, renewable on an annual basis, entitling them to:
- 5% discount at Happy Harbor Comics (Edmonton)
- 10% discount on convention merchandize sold by the Alberta Browncoats
All paid members over the age of 18 are eligible to vote during the AGM held in November.
Membership dues will be used to cover the cost of member benefit items. A minimum of 25% of membership dues collected will be donated to our partner charities on a biannual basis. In addition, 25% of collected dues will be added to a social fund to defray costs of group social gatherings held during the year and the annual general meeting.
The Alberta Browncoats Society is a volunteer based service organization. As such, we are requesting all paid members commit to a minimum of 4 hours volunteering with the Alberta Browncoats over the course of each year.
Our membership year is from Jan 1 – Dec 31. Memberships sold after October 31 2015 will not expire until Dec 31, 2016.
There are three ways to become a member:
- Apply in-person at a convention or event.
- Next convention: Red Deer Comic Expo, June 11-12 2016
- Next event: TBA
- Download and complete the MembershipForm (pdf). Mail your cheque to the address indicated and your membership package will be sent to you via Canada Post.
- Purchase your membership online (PayPal). You will be contacted via email to confirm contact information and your membership package will be sent to you in the mail.
*While the Alberta Browncoats is a not-for-profit society it is not currently a registered charity in Alberta or the rest of Canada. As such we cannot issue charitable tax receipts.